Chapter 22:16: 22 Things I Did While I Was 22

By steambunz - Sunday, December 06, 2015

Looking back, turning 21 seems pretty much in the past. This is the first time I had to delay a birthday reflection post for almost a week.

I guess the major reason is because of work, and the continuous ongoing social activities that doesn’t really allow me to slow down and properly reflect, not even a little bit.
Well, to be honest, I’ve been quite busy with work ever since I’ve been into the workforce. I don’t have much time for anything anymore. I know it may sound off as an excuse, because there’s always time for everything and anything—it is up to me to make time for myself.

However, I’ve always been busy, but now it’s busier because I’m now living life on the fast lane. This happens when you want to have a career in a FMCG industry. Even so, I noticed that I'm always never interested to celebrate my birthday because of my busy-ness (that's sad, isn't it?). But there are those who really love and care about me who always want to celebrate this special day with me. I'm so glad to always have these bunch of good friends and loving family, even when I always refuse to not make my birthday such a big thing.

I'm so blessed to have you all!

But, as I grow, I acknowledge the fact that I’m no longer making decisions as a graduate anymore, I’m making decisions as a responsible adult, and I’m on my way there.
So, here goes the list of the 22 things I did while being a working adult:

* * *


1. Conquered Broga Hill for the first time

So, I heard a lot about this infamous Broga Hill during my uni days.
After climbing up to the peak, I just realize Broga Hill is just like a naked cemetery hilltop. It's naked because it has nothing much at the top except HUGE ROCKS & GIGANTIC BOULDERS.




2. Wore braces

After many months of avoiding my father's decision to get braces, I finally did it! I even pulled out 4 tooth to complete my braces experience. The only thing that I didn’t like about my braces was when I started to have this lisp problems. Always mispronouncing words and getting tongue tied many times, especially during critical situations where I really need to speak quickly. Sometimes, it hurts my confidence a little because of this, but then again, it’s also a good training for me to speak slowly and more mindfully to people.




3. Went cycling at Bukit Cahaya Shah Alam

The only few things that make me truly happy – sports!
Finally being able to cycle in such a huge cycling area! The cool air against my body, and the adrenaline rush when cycling downhill made me realize that these are the little things that I would truly live for!
 



4. Left Hest Bar at Selangor Turf Club

It’s hard to believe that few months back, I was afraid that I couldn’t cope with my job as a supervisor, and as well with my studies, but in the end, I still did it! Met a lot of interesting people, and people in which stories that I wrote of. I’m really gonna miss those days where I would secretly sneak out to look up into the vast dark skies.




 5. My first fresh-graduate job as a sales executive 

To be honest, my first fresh-graduate job is not all perfect as it turned out to be, or neither was it something that I expect myself to do either. As this is my first time applying for a full-time job, I told myself that it’s okay to have jobs that you’re not gonna like, because you may never know if one of them might end up as your life-long career!

Few years back, I dreamt to work for organizations like WWF, and I finally did (although indirectly)! During these few weeks as a salesperson, I learnt how to have open and casual conversations with strangers. But sadly, I found out that my interests doesn’t belong to sales line or to the NGO industries.
  


6. Travelled to Tokyo, Japan for the first time

After leaving the sales line, I took a short break and travel with my family to Tokyo. It was the end of the Sakura season when we travelled there, and it was our first time planning our own travel itinerary. We stayed at a backpacker cottage, where we met a lot of other travellers from different countries. Really love the hospitality and helpfulness shown by all the retail staff and citizens when he got lost a lot of time, especially with the confusing subway/railway/train stations. Also, met up backpacker loner Zheng Guan, and long-time-no-see Eddie Chew, in which he impressed me and my family with his fluent Japanese slang!



7. Started working at Delfi Marketing Sdn Bhd
After completing university, I had major interest working in a FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) firm, and Delfi Marketing was the first company that gave me that opportunity. Delfi Marketing is a product distribution company in which they distribute goods to all retail stores/convenient stores/ pharmacies/etc., mainly dealing with B2B.
Although my current portfolio are skewed towards more to the healthcare division, I realize that my current job scope requires me to act and think fast, which is not what I’m capable of doing. The first few months were pretty hard on me ever since I switched to a reputable brand portfolio. But I always believe that the starting is always the hardest. Thus, I have to always start somewhere, to actually go somewhere, and I hope this ‘somewhere’ that I’m going, is the place I want to my career to grow most.




8. Achieved women doubles champion

Working in Delfi also means being active in their weekly badminton sessions! Recently, an inter-badminton competition was held within my company, and I took this chance to achieve my 2013 stated resolution. Won women doubles champaion, and got a better chance to build better relationships with my colleagues too!



9. First toast on the helipad
It’s funny how my current social gatherings always lead me to previous places which I have been for work purposes. It sure does bring back good memories.



10. Received gifts and surprises from someone anonymous

During the transition period of a switch of my work portfolio, I was overloaded with challenges and responsibilities which took a plunge on me emotionally and mentally. I guess someone took notice of this, and decided to cheer me up. I haven’t really found out who he/she really is, but whoever you are, thanks for bringing these little surprises in my life. You were the reason that made me looked forward to these mini dosage of happiness every Tuesday. So, thank you! (I know you’ll be reading this!)



11. Went Zouk for the first time

I thought I would be able to see the wild side of me with all those alcohol, but I guess it wasn’t the right people that I would want them to know how wild I am. I spend the night at a nearby petrol station near my house when I found out I was locked outside. What an interesting first timer night, but unfortunately, it’s gonna be my last. I still like my old classic self.





12. Went for my first trip to Johor

Got to know everyone a bit better after this trip, especially Chen Yee Leong’s major addiction to emo songs. Hehe... Besides him, I also became much closer to some of them :) And I finally did what I wished to do for a long time: to blow, and play with huge bubbles!
My inner childlike wish has been finally fulfilled!



13. Being part of the publicity team in the 38th Incovar Dhamma Camp

Can’t believe that I’m not joining Incovar Dhamma Camp as a participant anymore, but as a committee. I finally did what I wished to do in a long time: to do a proper professional videography.
Of course since is my first time doing the video with a DLSR camera, there were a lot of things that I wished I could do better.

It was a great pleasure working together with different people, especially within my own department. This experience made me understand other people’s strength and weaknesses. Camp was definitely a mind blowing. To read more about it, please click here.
 



14. First time witnessing a real live horse race
After working at the horse gambling industry for more than a year, I never really got a chance to witness a real live horse race. Now that I have, I would like to highlight that all racing horses have really weird names. #truestory
Also, maybe a word of advice: don't gamble on horse racing. It's all a money sucking ploy to earn more money from gamblers. Plus, you're hurting those poor horses! 



15. Became involved in the D2Y Camp-X Food & Beverage department

I rarely or seldom cook at home, but when I do… it only happens in camps! Didn’t really cook much though, as most of the preparations were already done by a group of amazing aunties! However, I realize that I spent 80% of my time being in the kitchen and dining hall. If it’s not washing the dishes, I’ll be busy cutting fruits, if I’m not cutting fruits, I’ll be busy making sure that the food is being prepared on time. This is the first time I felt so imprisoned that I couldn’t go anywhere and everywhere during camp programs like how I used to. Although it is tiring, but I still feel honoured, blessed, and happy to bring food to the table.




16. Found out that my university research paper got published

This random girl from Facebook dropped me a FB message requesting to know more about my final year research questionnaire. This was when I finally found out that my final year research paper, and one of my assignment research paper actually got published through online!

 To read more about my research, please click the following links:
1. An exploratory study of the factors influencing Generation-Y's purchasing intention within the toy industry in Malaysia

2. The Influence of Individual Internal Factors on Impulse Buying Behaviour through Online Shopping




17. Got out of shape, and sprained my ankle twice

Ever since I started working, I’ve gained 4kg’s!! This is pretty depressing, as my lifestyle is not as active as it used to be during my university days. Despite the fact that I still go for weekly badminton sessions, it never seems to compensate the amount of sitting and facing the computer every day at work. #fatlifeisahappylife

Had a few injuries, but the most serious injury was spraining both my right and left ankle within the same year. It was also my first fresh sprain on my left ankle. How unlucky can that be?


18. Became a bridesmaid for the first time
A few weddings to attend to this year, and many of the few requires me to travel outstation.
From those few weddings, one of them requires me to be their bridesmaid. Although we're somewhat strangers, it is truly a blessing to witness the blessing of a parent/sibling for their child’s marriage. I believe the hardest part is theoretically giving the daughter away to join the groom’s family, because it’s like giving away someone you love so much to someone who loves the person more than you.





19. Graduated

After completing my SPM few years ago, I told my family and myself that I die, DIE, DIE also don’t want to study at Sunway University as it is so expensive (that's exactly what I said over here too!). Who would have known that few years later, I was DYING to complete my degree studies in Sunway University Business School. Although all my friends had graduated before me, I knew that some success can only be made alone. I literally crawled my way to the finish line and achieved my 2nd Upper Class Honours I’ve worked so hard for. When I descended the stage, it was that moment that I realize that it was the last moment that I’ll ever feel like a university student again, but it was the best moment of all.

20. Represented my brand for a newspaper cover
The last time I ever appeared on newspaper was in 2011. Somehow, that doesn’t seem too far away. Moving on to my working life, I guess I would see myself in newspapers quite often, but only for a different reason. It feels weird to be under the spotlight again. To read about my appearance on the newspaper article, click here.


21. Achieved my dreams to complete my first 10km run
As my brand provides a majority of sponsorships to sport events, I get to attend free runs as well (but of course not all the time). Attended the 10km Puma Night Run without any training whatsoever. It was the most memorable experience because I had to run under the heavy rain from the start and all the way to the finish line. The rain was the biggest reason that pushed me to keep going, even though I was pretty dam scared of the lightning and thunderstorms. Plus, I received a pair of Puma sports shoe as a sponsor appreciation gift for free! #happiness



22. Drove to Genting Highlands for the first time
Feeling much more responsible as a driver now, but the best part was being able to spend some quality time with the mothers from two(2) generations. Have been going up to Genting quite often this year. Maybe it has officially become my favourite place to ponder on my thoughts and feelings.





* * *

Today (or more like 6 days ago lol), I turned 23.










  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums