Chapter 22.11: The Interview

By steambunz - Thursday, March 12, 2015

"So, any questions?" the interviewer asked finally, after a 10 minute interview with us.
Both me and another candidate shook our heads lightly. "Nope," I said.
Actually I do. A lot actually, I thought to myself. There were a lot of uncertainties in my mind, but I thought it would be inappropriate to ask so many questions in just one interview.
"Great! If no, then I would like to dismissed the interview," the interviewer said as he stood up from his seat. "But before that, I would like to have a few moments with Susan for awhile. Just for 5 seconds. So Fariq, thanks for coming for the interview, we would contact you when you're shortlisted for the job."
Wait. What? Did he say he wants to speak privately with me?! I thought. He isn't going to offer me the job right away, right? Isn't it too soon?
The interviewer shook Fariq hands, said his thanks, and walked out the door. The door closed lightly behind him.
"Susan, I just want to have a bit of your time. Just 5 seconds," he said as he sat back down in his seat.
"Yeah, sure," I said.
"I noticed something about your behaviour, and I find it.... well.... a bit too much," he said, smiling. Clearly, his face looked a little bit displeased. "So I thought that this advice that I'm gonna give you might help you in your future."
I sat quietly in my seat, feeling afraid that he's going to say something which I wasn't sure of.
Oh noooo..... What did I do wrong this time? I thought to myself, feeling slightly embarrassed.
"I noticed that your tongue is moving around too much, and your body as well. I think it's a bit too much. So I just wanna know....."
Before he could finish his sentences, I immediately sat back and laughed, politely.
原来是这样!(So it was about this!) I thought to myself.
"Oh no, sir! I think it's because of my braces," I said, delightfully, but yet feeling bashful at the same time. "I just got it done this year January!"
"Ahh... I see. No wonder. I understand now!" he said, smiling.
"I was trying to get water to drink because I was thirsty, that's why I was moving around so much!" I said, as I cover my mouth with the tip of my fingers. "I'm soooo sorry! I know that it's annoying! But I'm trying to get used to it, especially when it comes to speaking!"

“Ah. It’s fine. I just wanted to know, and at least I understand now,” he said.

“So that’s all you wanted to say to me? About my braces?”

“That’s all of it,” he said as he got up from his seat to open the door for me.

“I see. I thought you were going to talk to me something else other than that!” I said as I got up from my seat at the same time. “But thanks, thanks for letting me know. I appreciate feedback like this. I like feedbacks like this, no matter if it’s negative, because it helps me learn and grow.”



“I know,” he smiled. “Because you look like that kind of person that does.”

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums