Chapter 22.08: How I Almost Destroyed Valentines Day

By steambunz - Saturday, February 14, 2015



3 years ago on Valentine's Day, I was working as a part-time waitress in a high class restaurant, serving almost 600++ customers, couples, and families between the month of January and February.


In preparation for Valentines Day, the tables in the grand dining hall were properly arranged and beautifully decorated with a lighted scented candle, a set of complete cutleries for two, and a paper menu set beside the candle. The curtain blinders were rolled up, revealing the buzzing people at the side of the streets. The lights were also dimmed, and soft music filled the room, hence, setting a cosy, warm, and romantic environment.


It was about 9pm, the crowd was much lesser since it was almost our closing time, hence, it was less busy for us. There were only 2 couples sitting inside the dining hall, chatting away while I was doing my round of collecting and putting away the dishes.


Suddenly, something caught my attention right at the corner of my eye.
As I turned to faced the table right in front of me, I noticed that the paper menu on the table was starting to burn!


For a moment, I stood there staring blankly at the burning menu, now in flames.
My mind was screaming at me to get water or scream for help, but my feet just stood rooted against the floor, not wanting me to move! On the other hand, my colleague, Dale, was behind the bar counter, unaware of the whole situation.


Should I get Dale to put out the fire?! Or should I just put out the fire myself?! I thought to myself.


Even at this situation, I could still hear Adele's chorus echoing at the back of my mind: "Set fireeeeeee... to the rain!" Except that there was no rain, it was practically just fire!


It was such an obvious, and stupid question that I'm asking myself.
Even so, I still stood there blankly watching the fire with a bit if amusement and in awe, the fire, now bigger, which is now burning through the table cloth, as if I've never seen a fire before. lol.


Out of a sudden, I came back to my senses when I saw a couple stood up in their seats. Their faces looked horrified as they noticed the current situation. I snapped back into reality, and immediately sprang into action. I turned around in circles, running frantically back and forth, and around the dining hall looking for a source of water. Dale was still busy cleaning up some dishes behind the bar counter. When I saw the leftover cup of water on top of the bar counter, I immediately took it and splashed it across the table.


The fire was immediately extinguished, and what was left was a soaked table, and huge burnt hole in the middle of the tablecloth. The table was stained black in the middle.


I continued to stood there, staring at the horrible messed for a few minutes, questioning myself on what had just happened.


"Do you smell something burning?" I heard Dale spoke up behind me.


I turned around to look at him, my face still as blank as ever.
I pointed towards the burnt table, and his facial expression suddenly dropped.
"WHAT HAPPENED?!" he asked frantically, his face filled with shock.


I looked at him, and shrugged.

* * *

So yeah, if you're still feeling sad because you're still single for Valentine's Day...
Don't be. lol
Because nothing can't be worst than almost (unintentionally) setting fire to a high class restaurant on Valentine's Day. So yeah, being single is not that bad. lol
But maybe that's why I'm still single ~(--..--)~
Happy Valentines Day & Gong Xi Fa Chai !!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 dim sums